How long does my session last?
Unlike the public access computers, there are no time limits when using your own wireless equipment. However, the Library reserves the right to disconnect any device at any time in order to manage the network and provide equal opportunity for wireless access to all users.
I don’t have a Library card. Can I access the Free Library of Philadelphia’s wireless network?
Wireless access is reserved for Free Library card holders. If you don’t have a Library card, please go to the nearest service desk.
Can I print documents from my laptop using the Library’s printer?
No. We are developing an update to allow wireless printing to the Library system’s public printers, but at the moment, printers are not part of the wireless network. If you need to print, save your work to a portable format (floppy disk or flash drive) and sign up for a session at one of the Library’s public computers.
What can interrupt my connection?
Anything can interfere with the radio waves of the wireless connection—if you have a problem connecting to the network, try moving to a different location.
Are there any restrictions to using this service?
All users of the wireless network must comply with our Electronic Resources and the Internet Policy Access Policy. Access to violent and or sexually explicit material is prohibited. All sessions are filtered in accordance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act.
Do I require any additional software to access the Internet?
It is highly recommended that patrons have installed and are running some up-to-date Antivirus / Antispam software. Also, it is recommended that privacy software (such as a personal firewall) be in place as the network is not secure (see Disclaimers below).
What hours will this service be available?
Limitations and Disclaimers
The wireless network will be available during the Central Library’s operating hours:
Monday – Wednesday, 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Thursday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Sunday, 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Library staff is not able to provide technical assistance and no guarantee can be provided that you will be able to make a wireless connection.
- The Library’s wireless network is not secure. Information sent from or to your laptop can be captured by anyone else with a wireless device and the appropriate software, within three hundred feet.
- The Library assumes no responsibility for the safety of equipment or for laptop configurations, security, or data files resulting from connection to the Library’s wireless network.
- The staff cannot control the availability of sites you would like to visit. Sites frequently change addresses or close down, and some sites may limit access to affiliated or authorized users.
- The Free Library of Philadelphia provides computers with filtering software to limit children's exposure to some websites. Internet traffic on the wireless network is also filtered. The software blocks specific sites that could be offensive to some users. Filtering software may not block all material users might find offensive. Parents may wish to supervise their children's Internet sessions. Filtering software may also inadvertently block material that is inoffensive. If you believe you are being unjustly blocked from a site, please notify a staff member.
- The Free Library of Philadelphia reserves the right to prohibit an individual from accessing the wireless network if that individual is violating any of the policies or guidelines of the Free Library of Philadelphia. A warning will be issued if such a violation occurs. If after a warning, an individual is again found to be violating the Library’s policies or guidelines, he or she will be banned from accessing the wireless network at the Free Library.