Second Annual 10,000 Books for Children Book Drive
Join the Free Library and help provide 10,000 books for children to ensure that Philadelphia schoolchildren have new and exciting books to keep them reading over the summer. The Free Library’s book budget has suffered damaging cuts, and we need your help to stock the shelves for the more than 57,000 children and teens who will be going to their local neighborhood libraries for books to read over the summer!
Studies show that reading four or five books over the summer has an impact comparable to attending summer school and can play a significant role in helping children maintain their reading level. Even preschoolers benefit from early literacy activities—they are more likely to be “ready for school” and their literacy measures, such as rhyming, alliteration, and concepts of writing, are superior to youngsters with little or no exposure to books.
There are several ways to help us collect 10,000 Books for Children
Donate to the book drive fund: This is the best way to maximize your donation. The Free Library receives significant discounts because we purchase large quantities from publishers. Click on this link to go to our online donation form, or send a check to The Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation, 1901 Vine Street, Room 111, Philadelphia, PA 19103, and indicate book drive on the memo line.
- Buy a book from our Summer Reading Wish List online at barnesandnoble.com and drop it off at the Parkway Central Library or ship it directly to us at: Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation/1901 Vine Street/Suite 111/Philadelphia, PA 19103
- Visit one of these participating businesses:
- Barnes and Noble is proud to support the Free Library's 10,000 Books for Children and will hold a Book Fair from May 10 through June 2 in stores and online. During the Fair, the Free Library will receive a percent of sales of any titles purchased when you use this flier (in stores) or the special online code (10208924)! To ensure that the Free Library receives this percent of sales, please present the flier at the register or enter the special code when shopping online through June 2.
- VILLA is supporting the book drive by donating 10% of sales proceeds when customers shop at any of their 11 stores with this coupon from 5/28 – 5/31. Not only will you help the Library, but you’ll also get 10% off your purchase, too!
- Joseph Fox Bookshop supports 10,000 Books for Children and will have several titles available for purchase at the register at their store in Philadelphia.
- Book Warehouse of Philadelphia is proud to partner with 10,000 Books for Children, and will hold a drive in their facilities.
|Content managed by the Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation Development Office 215-567-7710